IMG_94463 e crop

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Green Clean Review

Last night (while Mike was on his first call), I made the green cleaning plunge. I've been wanting to do it for a while, so I figured I would start now that we are in our new house. It's amazingly inexpensive, and I felt okay letting Bailey, and even Avery, help out.

To "green clean" your bathrooms, you only need a few things, most of which are probably already in your house:




To wash the mirrors, sinks and the outside of the toilet, I made a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar. It worked great! Bailey and Avery loved spraying everthing down, and I didn't have to worry about it getting on their hands or clothes. I was really pleased with the results- everything looked really clean.



Next, I poured a mixture of 1/2 c. baking soda with two cups of vinegar into the toilet bowl and let it sit for about 15 min. I was impressed by the results. The inside of the toilet was gleaming white. Who knew?


Lastly, I made and mixture of one cup water with 10 drops of tea tree oil for the shower. I used that on the shower doors and the tile. It's supposed to prevent mold and mildrew growth. Obviously, it's too soon to say how if it works, but at least it smells good.

The only downside is that your bathroom smells like vingear. Luckily, even that didn't last long at all. I admit, I like the smell of a chemically cleaned bathroom, but I'm sure it's not good for your lungs.

So, I give the green clean experiment two thumbs up. I'm excited about saving money, and making our house a little bit greener.

5 comments:

Daisha said...

I love using vinegar and baking soda to clean. It's on my list if things to share on my other blog. I too love the chemical clean smell. It's too bad that vinegar can't smell better!!

Sarah and Troy said...

Do you know what would be fun? If you put some pics of your new green house on your blog. I want to see it!

Franziska Patterson said...

I'm sure if you used Balsamic vinegar, everything will smell delicious. But, it probably wouldn't look it.

Lindsey Hicks said...

Power to you!

HeidiPie said...

For some strange reason I love the vinegar smell....reminds me of wacky cake. =) green cleaning is fun huh!