IMG_94463 e crop

Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm the wicked stepmother


Tonight Bailey threw the tantrum of all tantrums. And that is saying something. It was actually very sad. It was a full hour of violence, threats, and thrown objects (all done by Bailey, I might add). 

It culminated in me holding her bedroom door shut while she angrily screamed, kicked, and threw her toys at the door. I never thought I would lock my daughter in her room, but I can honestly say I was afraid for Avery's safety, and I was tired of being scratched, bitten and otherwise attacked. 

While this was going on, I heard a sobbed, 

"Bruno!! Bruno!"

Sound familiar? At first I couldn't understand what she was talking about. And then it dawned on me. Remember Disney's Cinderella?

Then,

"I know. I need Cinderella's mice. Mice! Avery, bring me Cinderella's mice! I need out of here! Bring me Cinderella's mice!"

I felt like laughing, kind of. I was the wicked stepmother, locking the soon to be princess in her room. I hope that's not how she thinks of me...

Let't hope for a fresh start tomorrow. After all, sleeping beauty ends well. I might just have to wake her up with a kiss.

7 comments:

Rosie said...

I am so sorry... but how funny is her response. Hope she's in a better mood tomorrow!

Danny and Darcie said...

Oooh Kari, I feel for you and understand. You are not a wicked stepmother, or even a bad mother. In fact you are a fantastic mom. These things have a way of leaving us feeling yucky about ourselves no matter what we try.

Mary's fits have been increasing lately too. Recently I actually tried something that Jarom Heaton recommended for HUGE all-out temper tantrums. A cold shower. Mary was freaking out. I had tried everything (really everything) that I could think of to calm her down, and help her understand her behavior was not acceptable - so I did it. I told her she needed to calm down, and if she couldn't calm down by herself I would help her by putting her in the shower. She heard me, and then screamed louder. So I put her in the shower and turned on the cold water. The effect was immediate. She stopped screaming and thrashing and instead just looked at me. Which made me feel horrible, but she calmed down. Anyway, it's not for everyone I'm sure. I sure hope I don't have to do it again. But now when things seem to be escalating out of control, I ask her if she needs me to help her calm down.

Lindsey Hicks said...

That is too funny. I'm so glad you've documented this because you will certainly have to mention it at her wedding when she is a princess for a day. What saucy little girl. You'll never have to worry about her lacking personality or flare. I love it.

Lindsey Hicks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janelle Dobson said...

Oh that is tragically hilarious! They say these days with young children only last a minute- but it sure seems like a really long minute sometimes doesn't it?

Marcos Rios said...

:-)

HeidiPie said...

That is hillarious Darcie, I am sure going to try that one sometime. Really.
Well, Kari, I for one have locked Luke in his room many times. He won't stay anywhere I put him no matter how many times I've sat him down. When he's alone he gets sad and then he seems to think "oh-did I do something wrong?" I'm sure you tried everything you could think of and more so I wouldn't feel bad for too long. Allie's attitude these days is it hit or kick and think it's funny and ok or to say mean things to people. She's got this attitude that she wants to do wrong things because it's funny. Not a lot helps, taking away things she likes sometimes helps, or talking about it later when she's "nice" again we were discussing the scripture where it talks about happiness and endless misery. She really does want to be happy and I just explained that doing mean things have consequences and doing nice and good things have consequences and we talked about what those things might be.
Anyways, I hope tomorrow goes so much better. I'm sure it will. Good luck!