IMG_94463 e crop

Friday, November 28, 2008

What nobody tells you before you have kids

Before you have kids, nobody ever tells you how much you talk about their pooping habits. Seriously, Mike and I talk about it every day.

Mike: “Has Bailey had a poopie diaper today?”
Me: “Only little ones.”
Mike: “She needs to have a big poopie.”
Me: “I know.”
Mike: “Make sure you give her lots of fruit.”
Me: “I will.”
Mike: “How about Avery?”
Me: “Still no poopie diaper.”
Mike: “How many days has it been now?”
Etc. etc. etc…

I’ve decided we talk about it so much because as parents, you have to worry about something. (But really, if you had Bailey and Avery, you would worry about their pooping, or lack thereof, too.) I remember thinking, if only I could get Bailey to eat, I could stop worrying. Once that problem was solved, there was something else to worry it.

Last week, Mike asked me if I thought we would ever stop talking about our daughter’s bowels. I don’t think it will be anytime soon. We still have potty training ahead of us. But even if we do, I’m sure something else will easily replace it. Maybe when they’re older our conversations will be a little more thought provoking...

4 comments:

Franziska Patterson said...

I'm still counting Sophia's wet and poopy diapers...Why God designed poop as a primary source of screening your child's well-being, I don't know, but alas...it's a great way to know how they are doing.

Jamie said...

YEA!! You have 2 kids too! Jason and I were just talking about you guys the other day. I am so glad you found me - we will have to stay in touch.

Britt said...

A few days ago in my morning prayer I prayed that Burke would have a poopy diaper after four days of nothing. Then I prayed that I could handle it when it finally did happen. I think I used about seveteen wipes that day on one diaper. I figured it evened out.

Shannon said...

Totally understand- Matt and I have the same conversations!