IMG_94463 e crop

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Treasure Hunting

Bailey is obsessed with cotton. I don't know why, but ever since she was tiny, she's had a fascination with it's fluffy whiteness. She pulls cotton from under the couch, she bites it off her "fuzzies" (her blanket) or her teddy bear. She pulls it off of Q-tips, or, my personal favorite, off the side of her diaper. She has a huge problem with eating it, and no matter what we do or say, we can't get her to stop. Apparently, eating cotton is not her only problem.

I took Bailey into the doctor this last Friday. One of her ear tubes has fallen out and she had been complaining about an ear ache. She had more than just an ear infection.

Poor Bailey has had a runny nose for a little over a month now. From frequent wiping (so we thought) her nose had become really really sore. The doctor thought it was a little strange that only one side of her nose was sore. She became even more suspicious when her ear infection was not on the side of the sore nose. She took a peek with her otoscope and saw something in her nose. Apparently, she also smelled something. She wasn't sure if she was just really stuffed up, or if there was actually something in it. She stuck a stick up her nose and sure enough, it was "spongy." She had stuck cotton up her nose!! I was even more appaled when she took tweasers and pulled it out. Be warned- this description is not for the faint heart. Out she pulled a 1.5-2 in. long ball of cotton/mucus/blood. Seriously. I am not exaggerating. I couldn't believe it. It just kept coming and coming and coming. No wonder her nose was so sore!!

Lately, Mike and I had thought that Bailey had been smelling bad. We were bathing her more, brushing her teeth all the time, but we couldn't get rid of the smell. Now we know what is was...

Bailey's nose is looking a million times better, and she is smelling a million times better. I am so glad I took her in! Thinking about it afterwards, I realized it could have gotten really bad. What if she inhaled it? What if we left it in there so long the infection went to her brain? I am really grateful for that ear infection, and an observant doctor.

5 comments:

Franziska Patterson said...

This seriously belongs on "House". But, apart from the nastiness and trouble of it all, the funniest part about this blog was the nasty description of the details, and right next to it a picture of Bailey, all cute and smiley!

Sarah and Wes said...

Ewwwwwwwww!!!! I can't wait for those joys of motherhood . . . that is really a good one, Kari. Yikes! On the other hand, I LOVE the family picture you have up!! What a beautiful family.

KordelandHeather said...

Speaking of House. There actually was an episode where this little kid kept sticking little toys up his nose. Of course I think the toys helped house figure out some problem. The best part was, the kids stuck up one toy, then he stuck up other toys to get the first toy. Anyway, you have to see it, HILARIOUS....

Lori T. said...

Kari,
Don't be alarmed, but I did the exact same thing at Bailey's age down to the smell and everything. Maybe she's going to be like me! I'll pray for you!

Scott said...

Bailey must take after her Aunt Tre.