IMG_94463 e crop

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bottle feeding- day 1

After several months of poor feeding, my milk has almost dried up. Her weight gain has seriously slowed down and finally almost stopped. I am so sad! So today was the first day of bottle only- I didn't even try to breastfeed at all. Poor Avery! She didn't even cry about it all day, she just didn't eat. I hope that doesn't mean that she is used to being hungry all the time. I try not to think about that, I just have to move forward from where we are.

Tonight she finally ate, after almost a whole day of nothing. Of course, her bottle of choice was the infamous Dr. Brown bottles. I'm kind of disappointed about that- Bailey liked those bottles as well. They are a huge pain to clean! They have pieces inside with tiny holes that have to be scrubbed out with a tiny brush. Oh well. At least she finally ate! I'm glad there was a bottle out there she would take! I am hoping that day 2 of bottles will go well.

Now I am trying to decide if I can reuse Bailey's old Dr. Brown bottles or go out and buy all new ones that are BPA free. I know that babies have been fed out of BPA bottles for years and years, and no one seems worse off for it. However, recent studies have shown that is causes early puberty in girls, weight gain, and even breast/ prostate cancer. The FDA says that we shouldn't worry, but I don't think we can always trust the FDA. Countries like Canada don't even allow them to be sold anymore.

I think I will err on the side of caution. I've read of people who won't even let their kids play with plastic toys- only wood. I certainly don't think I need to go that far, I think that it is the heat and plastic combination. I guess only time and more studies will show how dangerous it really is.

If you are interested, here is an article about it:

http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/healthday/080207/report-shows-dangerous-chemical-can-leach-from-baby-bottles.htm

4 comments:

Franziska Patterson said...

go for the BPA free. Then I won't feel so stupid with my anti-plastic trip. I'm planning on going all plastic free if I can. I was actually thinking about getting rid of my IKEA kiddy dinner wear and buy all BPA-free if I can find it...and, I've always preferred wood over plastic anyway. ;)

Good luck with the bottle feeding.

katherine said...

Yeah, the FDA is messed up. Then again we turned out okay BPA and all. And again, I'm with you on the Brown bottles--TOTAL pain to clean and put together!

Franziska Patterson said...

yeah...the IKEA kid's plates and bowls and all is BPA-free. So, I can keep it.

Scott said...

BPA is a very bad actor. You all are smart to avoid it. Other plastics seem to be safe so I would not avoid them. As a warning, just because it is wood does not mean it is safe, what was the wood treated with, what was it painted with..... Organic is not necessarily better than synthetic.