IMG_94463 e crop

Thursday, August 18, 2011

So tired...

Dear Avery,

Please stop waking up a six (or earlier) every morning! And then not taking a nap! You are exhausted and grouchy every day, and that is making me exhausted and grouchy. I am tired of you fighting with Bailey all day. You need more sleep. I do too. We are both used to getting up at seven thirty- and you would still take a nap. Our days have become incredibly long. How on earth do I fill an additional three hours where you should be sleeping? I am started to dread them. I've tried putting you to bed later, but you still get up just as early. Only you are even more miserable. Sometimes it's not even light when you get, so I don't know what is getting you up so early. Now it's a really bad habit and I don't know how to break it. Please please please stop getting us both up to early!

Dear Pager,

Stop going off every five minutes all night long. Do you really need to be paging about a discharge in the middle of the night? Really? Who sends patients home at two in the morning? And how about all those needless updates? And aspirin requests. Are you serious? Isn't there an open note for that? Sometimes I think you call just out of spite. Just because you are awake, you have to wake up the doctor on call. But come on. He's even more exhausted than me. He falls asleep every time he sits down. Between working ninety hours a week, being on call twice a week, studying for tests and preparing for presentations, he is not getting near enough sleep. He slept a mere seven hours in two nights. Yes, he did not get even a full nights sleep in two combined nights! Please only go off if it's absolutely necessary.

Our entire house needs more sleep...

6 comments:

HeidiPie said...

oh, that sounds horrible!! I hope the sleep situation changes for you all very soon!

jaredandgina said...

I am afraid that darn pager just never learns, or at least the really stupid people at the other end of it!! 4 years Kari!! Then it will get better. As for Avery I have no clue, maybe get her a clock and tell her she is not allowed to come out of her room until it reaches a certain time!!
Miss you guys!

Danny and Darcie said...

I wish I could come babysit for you guys, so my kids could have friends to play with and you could get some sleep. The best I can do is pray for you all. I hope things get better. We miss you!

Henry said...

Life without sleep sucks. End of story. Ever since Sophia stopped taking naps, and getting up earlier because of potty training I've enjoyed motherhood a whole lot less. It's just rough when you're tired.

Anyway, so, for those reasons, I think drastic measures are in order. I'm working with Sophia on "quiet time", and also on the concept that she's simply not allowed to get up before 7.00 am. She can be awake, and if she quietly wants to look at books in her room or whatever, that's cool. But, we just don't get up before 7.00 am.

For me this is a bit hard to do at times, because she's in one room with Alba. But since Avery has her own room, why not crack down hard on her? It'll be nicer for everyone involved. Of course, since it's Avery, you'd have to be absolutely committed, because she'll probably not give in for about 5 years. But it may just pay off in the end.

Either way, my sympathies. Life without sleep sucks.

Henry said...

The last comment was me, Fran. Not Henry.

P.S. I also think it'd be totally worth it to maybe get a babysitter on a Saturday morning for 3 hours, just to sleep.

Sarah and Wes said...

Oh my!!! I hope you get more sleep!! That's one thing I'm not looking forward to with a newborn again. Here's hoping West doesn't give up his one nap anytime soon!