IMG_94463 e crop

Thursday, August 4, 2011

April NYC half marathon

This last winter, I trained for a half marathon with my friends, Summer and Rebecca. Yes, we ran in the snowy freezing winter of Syracuse. I ran outside pretty much no matter what the weather was. After months of running, we ran the NYC half marathon. We had a great time driving out there with another friend, Jamie. I am glad that I did not do the driving. It's true what they say about NYC drivers!

The night before, we made the mistake of eating NYC pizza. It was delicious, but we definitely paid for it during the race. The pizza place itself was a crazy experience. You went down the line, picking out what kind of pizza you wanted and then they gave it to you. Then, you were supposed to go down to the end and pay. However, there was no line. It was just a bunch of people shoving their way forward to pay for their food in who-ever-can-shove-everyone-else-out-of-the-way order. It took me a while to figure that out- so I stood there for a while.


I am sorry to say that the four of us ate almost all of that!!



The night before the race was less than restful. Let's just say one of us couldn't get comfortable and kept the rest of us up. It was like a real sleep over. (:

The day arrived cold, and we had to wait a while before the race. Needless to say, conditions were not exactly great. Between the pizza, the lack of sleep, and the cold pre-wait, I was not feeling up to par. However, I was determined to finish in my goal time. I almost did- I was 45 sec. over. And I was beat by a guy in our ward who had trained for three weeks, and have never ran that far before. Oh well.



I had a great time. It was really fun to get away with just the girls for a weekend. The ride home, however, was painful. First of all, we had to check out of our hotel before the race, so our post race clean up involved a bathroom and baby wipes. Then, after pushing myself so hard, I was soooooo sick. I made everyone stop about a million times from NYC to Syracuse.

Maybe next year I'll actually go for the marathon! Anyone want to run it with me? Anyone?

1 comments:

Sarah and Wes said...

Wow, great job Kari!! Sounds like a crazy story! I totally know what you mean about being so sick after the race. I would love to do the full marathon next year--but who knows where we will be?! :)