IMG_94463 e crop

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sleepy baby

We have been letting Avery cry it out for almost a week now. There has been a lot of progress, but she is still up for hours in the middle of the night. She no longer cries when we lay her down, and she sleeps for four of five hours. But when she gets up, she is up. Last night she was up from midnight to three. She was in her crib for most of that time, playing, talking and crying. It was horrible! I don't know what to do. As you can imagine, we are both really tired. I took these pictures of her while we were playing this morning. She looks like a little zombie baby. I'm so sad!


I still hate the whole crying thing. One night this week, I fed her then laid her down. She cried and cried, which she had not been doing for a few nights.  After thirty minutes, I went and fed her again. She ate like she was starving. I felt terrible- she was still hungry! Last night, after I fed her, she cried in her crib for a while. I went back there, and she had a poopy diaper. Once again, I felt bad. How are you supposed to tell when there is something that she needs, and when she is just trying to get me to hold her?? That is my big issue with the whole crying it out technique. I guess no teaching your baby to sleep by herself was is perfect. If there was a way, we'd all be doing it.

I am so happy that Avery is on her way to better sleeping, I just wish we could do it without all the crying.

4 comments:

Franziska Patterson said...

Don't give up! I think it's tricky to know when they need something and when they are just trying to get off the hook. But, I think the key is not so much to completely ignore their cries, but to make sure that when needs are checked and met, they go back to bed. for example, if you feed her, put her to bed, then she cries. You eventually get her, feed her again, and realize she was still hungry, you now met her need. If you put her down after that and then she just cries, it's not very likely she's still starving, and you can feel more confident that she's just trying to get off the hook.

Sarah and Wes said...

Boo, I'm sorry!! I hope that it will get better. It sounds like you are doing a great job. Some kids just struggle to sleep well when they are little. Keep trying!

Kim said...

Kari-Sorry about the sleep problems. Nothing like a mother's guilt. You do your best and luckily they don't remember the part about being an infant.
As far as the garden goes-I'm impressed with the corn. I've never tried that. I actually don't think our HOA would allow that. Last year I only had luck with lettuce because I planted so late in the season. (Even though it is tricky to grow things here because it stays cold at night for so long). Definitely do lettuce-it is pretty easy and really yummy to have a fresh salad. We are also trying brocolli, a few different kinds of peppers, tomatoes, zuchinni, squash and pumpkins. I'm hoping for the last 3 in addition to lettuce and won't be dissapointed with whatever else happens. Good Luck!

Jas and Berg said...

Kari, I've been out of the loop lately but wanted to see how you are coming with Avery...sounds like she is stubborn! The book I have implemented with Jada is Becoming Babywise. Go to the library and get it if you don't want to buy it. I think you should read it. I read it about 4 times during pregnancy and it is ingrained in my soul! I think Avery will do well on it. It's a three hour schedule. eat, wake, sleep. lots of babies are sleepy after they eat, but wake time is important. you will see when you read it...I am amazed at it. the nightime feeding is the only one you put them back to sleep after. feeding her less than 2.5 to 3 hours apart is so not what she needs. there are 3 reasons it's okay for them to cry...read it and you'll love it!