IMG_94463 e crop

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ear Conundrum

It has been a while since my last post, but I have a good reason. Our lives have been consumed with one thing for the last month- Avery and her endless ear infections.

Since the end of April, when we started letting Avery cry in out in a desperate attempt to get more sleep, she has had constant ear infections. Of course, when I realized this, I felt terrible. Here I was, letting her cry for two hours in the middle of the night, and she was in pain. I am pretty sure that I cannot do that again.

Over that last month, Avery's system has been flooded with antibiotics. She started out taking amoxicillin, which did nothing. Then, she took Omnicef, which worked for three rounds, but did nothing the fourth. She then got a shot of rocephin. And then another. All was well for a few days, but a week later she got a third rocephin shot and a round of zithromax. Despite that, a few days later, she had yet another infection and a fourth rocephin shot.

I obviously felt bad for out little baby, but this has seriously worn me out. She was up for two to three hours almost every night. I have worked hard on not being the naturally clumsy me, but the exhaustion has brought it back out. One night I set a cookbook on fire because I turned on the wrong burner. That was pretty exciting.

Avery got her tubes put in last Monday. Finally! I was hoping for instant relief, but I was not that lucky. The first night she was up for two hours. The next night, similar. However, last night, she slept for five hours straight, got up and ate, and then slept for another five hours. All I can say is hallelujah. Hopefully my cookbooks, and more importantly my children, are safe from my sleep deprived accidents.

5 comments:

Daisha said...

Our boy got ear tube because he had chronic ear infections too! It really was a blessing. Hopefully the sleepless night will wind down quickly!

Ashley said...

Kari - I don't know how you do it- seriously!! Way to hang in there - I was laughing yesterday because Avery is always smiles - everytime i see her anyways, it's hard to imagine her to be anything but happy. Yea for a good night's sleep the other night!!!!!

Rachel said...

oh, Kari, I'm so sorry! What a miserable couple of months. Hope the tubes keep on working. I'm glad to know about the cookbook story - that will be filed along with the burning washing machine that i remember from our days in the red door house.

Franziska Patterson said...

Wow, I think you made that post sound less bad than it all was. I'm with Ashley - I don't know how you do it, but I really hope Avery will get better now, sleep better, feel better, eat better and grow 5 inches. :)

Sarah and Wes said...

Poor Avery!! That sounds awful!! And your cookbook story made me laugh :)