IMG_94463 e crop

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Our first Waters family attempted campout

On Friday night, we decided to go camping. Bailey has been wanting to go camping forever, so with Mike's last few days off, we found a campsite, got ready and headed out. Online, I had found a site that was by one of the fingerlakes. We were excited for a beautiful view.

But when we got there, this is what we saw:

Our campsite was right next to the lake. A stone's throw away. And I wasn't happy about it. I was really nervous that Bailey or Avery might be get a little too adventurous, or maybe just a little too close. Needless to say, I was extremely diligent about knowing where they were every second. It was a very pretty view, but it was scary, and not the wooded campground we were expecting.

It was, luckily, a very warm September day. However, it was also very windy. Poor Avery was terrified. She could not stand to be in the tent when the wind was blowing. In fact, she was screaming. A lot.

The campsite was also right next to a playground. While we were playing there, we made a terrible discovery on Avery's head. Mike pulled tiny black bug after bug after bug out of  her hair. Yes, we found lice.

It's not exactly what you want to find out when you're planning to sleep all together in a tent where everything will have to treated. But, we decided there was not much we could do about that night, and that we would try to have a fun campout anyway.

When it started to get dark, we made a campfire. We had a great time roasting hot dogs, and marshmallows. It looked like our campout was going to be salvaged.

But then it was bedtime.

Bailey and Avery would not go to sleep. Every time one of them was almost asleep, the other one would wake them up. I threatened ("If you guys don't go to sleep we're going home!" "Nooooooooooo!"). I cajoled ("It's so much fun to sleep in a tent!" "I want to go home!"). And finally, after two and a half hours of this, we packed up and went home.

Unfortunately, I was planning on taking all of our camping pictures in the morning because the sun was in such a terrible place.


These are the only pictures I have of our failed campout. Mike and I decided we would only talk about the fun things we did while we camped, instead of the bad. Maybe next time (if there is a next time) it will be better.

And now we have to deal with lice!!!

8 comments:

Lindsey Hicks said...

I'm so impressed you went camping. Bryan has been wanting to go for so long and I keep putting it off. I think it is great that you bit the bullet and did it. It can only get easier and I'm sure the experience will pay off. As for the lice -- at least Avery's hair should make for easy nit picking.

Kari said...

It's true. She has so little hair. I want to know how AVERY got it!? That is just weird...

Unknown said...

Oh no!! Sorry you had such a rough time camping! We took Noah and Ammon camping for the first time this summer, and it was an adventure too, to say the least. Its not an easy thing to do with little kids :P

Franziska Patterson said...

Hahaha, I'm glad we didn't go camping with you. Lice is just one thing I'm really, really not interested in getting. I think this trip makes for a great story. :) Anyway, we still haven't gone camping. Maybe we should shoot for a joined camping trip some time, assuming Avery has no lice. And we're not right next to a lake - that'd freak me out, too.

Danny and Darcie said...

Oh Kari, not exactly your ideal camping conditions. Poor Avery, and you. How in the world did Avery get lice? And how in the world do you sanitize camping stuff?

HeidiPie said...

Well, parts of it were fun huh. I wish you could of had more fun, next time though.

Shelli said...

Camping is a lot of fun when they are older. I remember trying it when mine were little and it was so darn hard to enjoy. However we went this year and had an absolute blast! Of course we have the tent trailer which compared to tent on the ground is pretty much heaven.

Jas and Berg said...

wow, sounds like a mess. I refuse to camp, so that won't happen. Jas wants to, which means he has to wait until the kids are way older so I trust them without my supervision :D and by the water? very scary. I love that you actually followed through with your threats and just went home. I'm sure that was the best decision. and lice? oh man, that is the end! good luck getting rid of it...no pun intended :D