IMG_94463 e crop

Friday, February 19, 2010

Root Canal

This last week I had what no dental patient wants- a root canal. While I am glad that dentists can do them, instead of pulling the tooth out, I don't recommend this to anyone. It is as bad as it sounds.


I learned a few things about teeth that I didn't know before:
  • They don't like to stay numb for very long. Therefore, every time you think you can relax during the long long procedure, you get stung. Then you get another shot.
  • Even though the tooth has no nerves left on the inside, the outside nerves can feel the pain of what is going on inside. Then you get another shot.
  • At every dentist appointment I have been to, I've been told I have great teeth. I like to think I take good care of them. I've only had a few cavities, and those were from loose sealants, and I couldn't have prevented them. But I still got a root canal. (I cracked the tooth).
  • Painkillers don't last as long with tooth pain. Your tooth is killing again, and you realize you still have three hours before you can take the next dose.
  • The dentist tells you that you won't feel pain after a few days. Try a week. And then you get the root canal finished, and you're hurting all over again.
  • Despite what Bailey (and Mike) say, getting a gold crown does not make you feel like a princess.
I am happy to report that I am feeling much better after the second round, where they finished it off. Finally, finally, my tooth is not hurting. It was a frustrating experience for me. I got a root canal on a tooth that had been filled a few months ago. Before the filling, the tooth did not hurt at all, I was not aware of the cavity. After the filling, the tooth bothered me, and got worse and worse until I went back. Then I got the root canal which was the worst pain of all. All for a tooth that didn't even bother me.

Well, I can say I did the whole root canal thing. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be an endodontist. It has to be for the money. Let's hope this is the last time I have to pay one.

4 comments:

Sarah and Troy said...

Ha! I never would have thought that a gold crown would make you feel like a princess. I hope Troy never reads this. He's totally afraid of going to the dentist.

Lindsey Hicks said...

That sounds awful. I am keeping my fingers crossed that you guys really do come to Syracuse. That would be such a blast.

Danny and Darcie said...

Oh Kari, I really should have had Bailey and Avery over to play this week for you. You needed it. That sounds miserable. I have never experienced tooth pain. Hopefully, I will never have to, because I don't want too.

Franziska Patterson said...

Well, this is a good reminder for me to take care of my teeth so I don't have to get a root canal. No fun.

I'd still go with the gold crown though. Gold is going up in value!! And you'll be a princess, no matter what.