IMG_94463 e crop

Friday, August 13, 2010

This is why I was afraid...

So, Bailey got bangs a few months ago. I was sick and tired of not seeing her face, only hair, all the time. She wouldn't leave a clip or a headband, or any hair thing in for any length of time. There was only one option left. Bangs. I was hesitant, but went through with it. I thought they ended up pretty cute.

But then they got long.

I have absolutely no hair cutting experience. None. I was afraid to cut her bangs, so I put if off, and put it off, and put it off. I could procrastinate no further. I grabbed a comb, a pair of hair cutting scissors, and a spray bottle. We headed outside.

It was a disaster. Bailey wouldn't hold her head at quite the right angle, I was super nervous, and the hair scissors were terribly dull.

This is the result:



Yes, they are a little uneven, and yes, they are super duper short!! I tried to at least even them out, but I blame the scissors. They are hopelessly dull. 

Bailey looked in the mirror, and this is what my four year old said:

"Mom, it looks like boy hair in the front."

"Can you glue the pieces back on?"

"Do I have to go to swimming lessons like this?"

"Do I have to see my friends like this?"

"Can you make it grow back now?"

Oh well. At least hair grows back. Eventually. Maybe next time I will suck it up and pay someone to do it... poor Bailey! I now have a lot more compassion when I see terrible bangs walking around! I am little embarrassed that everyone has to see what a terrible job I did at cutting her bangs. I hope it comes back fast...

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I'd say she did it :) By the way, I think you can get them trimmed for $5 at places like Great Clips.

Daisha said...

She's adorable! Cutting bangs is hard and they are so unforgiving. You did good. When I get my act together I have a post to do on trimming your daughter's hair . . . much more forgiving than the bangs! I made my fair share of mistakes cutting my families hair too. I got an email back from Fabuless Frugal. They said they'd get your DVD to you soon! :)

Franziska Patterson said...

hahaha. Oh my goodness. Well, maybe it helps if you tell her that hair like that is becoming quite fashionable in Europe again with women. I'm sure if you google it you'll find a few examples.

Rosie said...

Studio 11 (on route 11 near Target and Walmart) does kids cuts for $6. Hair grows... hopefully quickly. :)

Unknown said...

This made me smile. My Father (the kids grandpa) used to cut the boys hair and my daughter you used to gather it up and plant it in the ground because Grandpa said that once hair was cut it would grow again quickly....Kids Huh?

There's a bright side to all this too. With the hair well out of her eyes, she won't be likely to get any eye diseases :-)

HeidiPie said...

Well, at least they aren't in her face anymore. ;) And they'll grow fast. My comment would be to not get them wet when you cut them and maybe do it when she's sleeping...hehehe...

Unknown said...

Hahahahaha, that is too funny, I love her comments :P They don't look that bad :P

thedeanfamily said...

Hey, at least she didn't take the scissors to them herself :) No matter her haircut, she makes it look cute.

Sarah and Wes said...

Oh Kari!! You're so funny. Don't you know that's what the oldest is for? To be a guinea pig!! Haha. Bangs are hard, don't worry, they grow back really fast too! Thanks for including Bailey's comments, they made me laugh! Kids seem to grow up so fast don't they?

Rachel said...

I actually think they're really cute

I am Laura said...

I have a hair cutting friend who says you take all the bangs together and twist them together right at the nose and then cut while it is twisted at the top of the nose. That way it gives the bangs a nice curve so they are longer on the sides than the front. I tried it with mine and it worked. Also do them dry. I pull my bangs back everyday however because I don't love them on me. I think she looks really cute with her bangs like that however. They will grow.