IMG_94463 e crop

Sunday, September 6, 2009

My complaining post

I am really discouraged. Yesterday, Avery was officially diagnosed with a milk allergy. The doctor said he's not sure if it is a lactose intolerance, or a milk protein allergy, but it looks like an actually allergy. She gets hives every time she eats cottage cheese, has had diarrhea for the last two months and has had a horrific diaper rash complete with blisters and open sores. Poor baby!


I'm mostly frustrated because we have worked so hard to get her to like eating. Because of her severe reflux and long memory, she did not want to eat because it caused pain. Months on Prevacid had made her happy to eat again, but now she flat out refuses anything because her stomach has been bothering her for so long.

I feel like I'm back at square one with her. I guess I wouldn't worry so much if she wasn't so tiny. At her last appointment she was 1st percentile for weight. She used to be in the 80th. She has crossed so many growth lines that she meets the criteria for failure to thrive. How am I supposed to not worry?

I am really overwheled by this right now. Even that makes me feel guilty. My Avery-won't-eat-just-like-Bailey trial is so small compared to what it could be. She is relatively heathy. My life really is great. I just feel so frustrated that I have to keep doing this over and over again. First Bailey. Now Avery. Do I have to do this with a third child too?

I hope she eats something soon...

2 comments:

KordelandHeather said...

Hey sweetie! I'm so sorry you're so discouraged! I'm having trouble getting my little guy to eat too, but he's having no trouble growing due to the fact that he'll eat ANYTHING pureed (all baby food is great and lots of it) but he won't eat ANYTHING with texture. it's sooooo frustrating, no crackers, puffs, small pieces of banana, NOTHING. He always gags, chokes, and often throws up.
May I just try to cheer you up? Although your sweet princess may be called failure to thrive, that is only because it has taken TWO months to figure out she has an allergy. Now that you know it,she'll probably like to eat again soon! And then she'll be growing. You have NOT depressed her growing yet, this actually was found QUITE fast compared to some children I have worked with in the past. Don't stress forcing eating, just find anything she'll drink or eat, that you already know she might like. Wait a week, relax try not to stress and then try to get her to start eating new things again....it will happen!!!! LOTS OF LOVE COMING YOUR WAY!

Henry said...

Well, I'll stick with what I've said before - Avery has plenty of chub, and I swear she has grown in the last months. So, maybe by definition she qualifies for 'failure to thrive', but I'd say as long as she's still gaining weight, growing, and is happy and learning things, she's 'thriving' just fine. But, I'm not a doctor, and you know that I worry about Sophia all the time. But, I really think Avery looks fine! It sucks though that you have to deal with the milk intolerance/allergy. That doesn't make anything easier. I'm sure it'll get better though. It all has. She wouldn't sleep - now she does. She was so sick with her ears and was such a saddy - now she's so happy all the time. She didn't take a bottle - now she does. It's hard to have another big obstacle, but I'm totally positive that it'll get better.

Sorry you get all the tough trials. It's probably because Heavenly Father knows I can't handle anything, so he has to dish it out to someone else who can take it. :)