IMG_94463 e crop

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bailey's first day of Kindergarten

Last week Bailey started a new adventure- Kindergarten. She was so excited to go- she has been waiting to ride a school bus from the time she first saw one.



That little stinker saw the bus, and got on without even looking back. I'm guess that's better than her getting on with tears, but I would have liked to feel like she would miss me at least a little bit.

When she got home, she was definitely a little bit grouchy. Or more than a little bit. When we asked her what she did that day, she replied acidly, "Why do you keep asking me all of these questions!" She fought with Avery, refused to talk to us, and went to bed early. As Mike was putting her down, she finally opened up and talked about her first day away from mom and Avery.

After the second day of school, Bailey told me there was a girl in her class whose name was Show-and-Tell. I was confused, and asked her if a girl had brought something for show and tell. She replied with her new I'm-in-kindergarten attitude, "No! I think her name is Show-and-Tell." I know there are some crazy names out there, but surely this girls name was not Show-and-Tell. I thought for a moment. "Do you mean Chantel?" I asked her. A light went on. "Yes! I think that's it!"

Bailey also has had a little trouble eating her lunch. I'm not surprised. She eats her blueberries by peeling off the skin with her fingers carefully, eating the skin, and then, only then, eating the berry. It drives me absolutely crazy. It can take her an hour to eat a bowl of cereal. I tried telling her that she needs to eat faster to prepare for school, but it just went in one ear and out the other. Needless to say, she hasn't finished her lunch yet.

And I must admit, I miss Bailey. She is gone for seven hours every day, and I miss having her around. Avery misses her too, probably even more. She is having a hard time without her big sister. She has been throwing enormous fits, crying about everything, and asking me all day if it's time to get Bailey from the bus stop. Poor girl. I am trying to keep her busy, but I am no replacement for Bailey.

We are only five days in, and I'm betting that things will get better. Bailey does really like school, and I'm sure we will all adjust to our new schedules.

2 comments:

Lindsey Hicks said...

This post is beyond adorable. I loved that Bailey has a "I'm in Kindergarten" attitude and mixed up Chantel with Show and tell - that is a story I'm going to be telling everyone I know. And that picture of Avery in her ballet getup should be framed. We need to plan a zoo day soon - lets go on a week day when Avery doesn't have Bailey:)

Sarah and Wes said...

Aw! I've been reading a lot of kids' first day of kindergarten. It seems so hard on the younger brother or sister that gets left behind. I'm sure things will get better! I'm glad I don't have to worry about my baby going to school yet! :)