IMG_94463 e crop

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February is not a good month for ears

The last three February's have not been great ones in our house. Last February, Avery spent the entire month with an antibiotic resistant ear infection. We were at the doctor's office every two days for yet another roceferin shot, only to be told by our ENT that we should have been able to see him on an emergent basis after the first. The February before that, Avery also had never ending ear infections. Both months ended with tubes. This February is proving to be no different. Poor Avery has a plugged tube, and is off to the ENT next week. I really hate it when they get ear infections while they have tubes. Instead of oral antibiotics, they get ones that you put in their ears. Really, instead of ear drops, they should be called torture drops. Avery despises them. At just the slightest mention of them, her hands immediately cover her ears. If the actually bottle is pulled out, screaming ensues. And the hands do not leave her ears. Period. And she is really starting to get strong. Mike and I both have to hold her down to get it down, twice a day. Poor thing.


7 comments:

I am Laura said...

that is so sad.

Lindsey Hicks said...

Poor little Avery. There must be something about winter that makes it worse don't you think? Or could it just be a coincidence. I HATE February anyway just because I'm sick of winter by this point but this gives me a really good reason to despise the month. How dare February be so mean to Avery!

jaredandgina said...

That is really sad Kari!! If you ever need some ent emergent advice please call Jared. He loves to help out, I know how hard it is to see them! Poor little girl!

Scott said...

That makes me cry. So sad. I hope she gets better fast.

Bryan Hicks said...

I just showed this video to Bryan and it made me sad all over again. Poor sweet Avery.

Unknown said...

Oh no! Poor thing!! Ammon had a double ear infection this month too! So it is not a good month for ears!! :( He hated hated the regular old ear drops...I couldn't imagine having to do antibiotic ear drops! Hope she gets better soon!

Sarah and Wes said...

So so sad!!! I'm so lucky--West has never had an ear infection; at least not that I knew about. Good luck with the ear drops!