IMG_94463 e crop

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Second Child

Poor Avery. Poor second child. With Bailey, we were anxiously awaiting every single mile stone. This time around we are surprised when she does something new. She rolled over? Really? When are they supposed to do that? Bailey I rocked and rocked to sleep when it was naptime. With Avery, if she won't go to sleep quickly, she just doesn't get a nap. When I dropped off Bailey at a babysitter for the first time, I was worried about her every second I was gone. When I left Avery with a sitter, I felt free and only kind of thought about her. Time seemed to crawl slowly by with the first one, and now, it's flying bye so quickly I can't believe it. Where did the last four months go? It's no wonder middle children have such issues (so I've heard, I'm the oldest).

I feel kind of sad that I can't spend the same amount of time with Avery as I did with Bailey. On the same token, I feel sad that I can't be with Bailey as much as I used to. I still have not figured out how to balance my life with two little ones. I'm wondering how people handle more than two...

I just have to make the most of the moments that I get with each of them. I'm learning again to enjoy each stage, it will be over before I know it.

3 comments:

Franziska Patterson said...

yup, middle children have it rough (I am one). But, I think you're a great mom. I think the issues of spending enough time with later kids is a tricky thing. I've had some ideas on it, such as having a set time to do something that everyone can be equally part of (like an evenly reading time, where you read books together. Bailey could pick one for herself, and one for Avery). Also, later on, I think going on dates with your kids might be a good idea. My mom did that, and those are some of the few memories I have spending fun time with my mom.

Diana Waite said...

Your parting comment is perfect, enjoy them as they are, they do grow up. And it's true you don't get to spend as much time but make the most of it when you can, but also REMEMBER that you need to give something to you so you can recharge and be a great mommy for them. (took me a long time to figure that one out!)

Sarah and Troy said...

I think guilt is part of being a mom so the guiltier you feel the better mom you must be- just kidding! You'll have to talk to Troy about all his woes as a middle child and maybe that will help you out. Probably though, you're doing great and they won't remember the time you spent learning how to make it all work. That's what I hope for myself anyway.